Friday, April 4, 2008

on the up

Try as I did, I just could not make my 24 page murder/mystery/thriller opus into what I wanted. So since I had thirty days to craft something spectacular, I scrapped that whole idea and went with my passion. Dark and spooky isn't my passion nor my nature. It's in my nature to write irreverent dreck that only the sickest of the sick would appreciate. My short may not make it into the final screenplay, but why go against the grain? I've had two valuable critiques on it already and am awaiting a third. After the third crit, I think I'm just gonna send this puppy out into the world.

One thing I didn't know about these independent filmmakers in Arizona is that they are taking their completed screenplay (with, fingers crossed, my short included) to Sundance! Yo, if my piece gets accepted, I'm going to Sundance! I'm getting way ahead of myself obviously, but it's so nice to have a dream.

Speaking of a dream, I toured the plantation "Big House" today. It was soul-stirring because folks- my folks, black folks -were born, worked and died on that property. It was difficult to pay attention to the people showing me around because the air was so heavy with history. I managed to get through it without choking and came away with a much clearer vision of how I wanted the script to play out. By the way, I'm writing this with another person, so I'm actually a "co-writer". However, this is a giant project, so sharing credit is cool. As long as I don't have to share my check, right?

I talked to my sister today. She told me something curious: she knows a fellow screenwriter in the struggle out in Los Angeles. He doesn't have any credits yet, though. I'm sending out a prayer tonight that he continues to fight to have his voice heard. It's difficult in these bland days of sequels, tent pole blockbusters and/or Tyler Perry offerings. But it'll happen.

My eyes are starting to droop, so I'm signing off. I'll be in VA tomorrow with fam, but hopefully I'll have time to write. Peace out.

No comments: