Saturday, May 31, 2008

my first premiere

Last night was the premiere of my play "Cleaver" at the Renaissance Guild in San Antonio, TX. OMG, ya'll. Words cannot describe how proud I am! During the introduction, the MC said "What can I say about this play? It's quirky, it's different...and in keeping with the theme of new beginnings, sometimes new beginnings have a way of finding you- and not in a good way". That made me nervous because when she said "what can I say about..." I thought it was a slam, but I miscalculated (as is my wont).

The actors were incredible! The guy who played the father "Ross" delivered the lines so beautifully; he had the audience rolling. Oh yes, they were laughing. Complete strangers were laughing at something that I'd written. I can't begin to tell you how validating that felt. The "Cleaver" gets the award for best actor, though. HANDS DOWN. He had that laugh and the cough that was just comic genius. The funny thing was that I wrote in the cough, but not the maniacal laugh. The combination of the two was perfect.

The director must have had a direct pipeline into my mind because he directed it so very well. After the show, he was very gracious and wonderful. Not at all your regular "theatre person". During the Q&A at the end, I believe I held my own although I probably could have answered some questions better. But I was under flood lights and worried if my feet were ashy in my cute sandals.

After the Q&A was the weirdest, though. Ya'll, people were coming up to me telling me how great it was. People who weren't related to me were telling me how they loved it- the actors, fellow writers, lots of people! I got phone numbers, email addresses, business cards and even invites to collaborate on future projects. My head is still spinning from all the love.

I need to pick up a paper this morning to see if there's a review (last year there was). But even if there is no review, it won't change the way I feel. Baby, I'm a star.

No comments: