Thursday, October 2, 2008

OMG! I can't believe I didn't tell you...

I didn't blog here on 30 September, so ya'll don't know the good news. My script "Lucas Donovan Forever" was chosen as one of the top 50 scripts in this year's Slamdance Feature Script Competition! That's right, kiddies. My self-described sellout script is working its mojo in Hollywood, baby. I visited the website today (again) just to see the title of my script (again). Does that make me a loser? If it does, so what? I'm moving on up to the East Side...

The funny thing about this competition is that it receives thousands of scripts a year from all over the world. Scripts that are culturally relevant and involve rape victims and one legged babies and whatnot. Really heady stuff. I honestly didn't think that my 90 minute Corbin n' me fantasy was going to fare well against work like that, so you can see why I'm stoked. The top 25 scripts will be announced on October 13th and I'm praying I make it just a little bit farther. But even if I don't, it's been a great ride.

So, I started my new job yesterday. Yeah, I don't know if I'm feeling it or not. Granted, I'm only working every other day for three hours a day, but still. We get paid every Friday (my first check is on the 10th) and the discount is downright criminal. I bought a hundred and sixty dollar dress yesterday for fifty bucks. It brought a tear to my eye, it did.

While I'm working part time, trying to sustain my writing momentum and all that, I've also been volunteering at my son's school. Right now, I'm signed up as a Destination Imagination coach, a judge for the literary portions of the "Reflections" program, and Room Mother for my son's class. It sounds like a lot, but those of you who know me know that I'm not fully satisfied unless I've got fifty million things going on at once. It keeps me from thinking too hard.

Slamdance, volunteering, and work...oh my!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're overdue for a new blog entry. Come on with the come on!!