Wednesday, November 12, 2008

the myth of Bernard Cliff

Yesterday, I got a seasonal job as an overnight stocker at a toy store. This way, I can make an extra $200 a week and get a nice discount on my son's toys for Christmas. Yay, me. But that's not the best news. This morning, I got an email from the Shoestring Radio Theatre. As luck would have it, they liked my radio play called "Back from the Brink" and are going to record it next month with a broadcast date of late May 09. SRT is an Internet radio station dedicated to streaming radio drama, which is funny because my script was a comedy. At least, it was supposed to be. I dunno. Maybe they thought I was serious...

"Back from the Brink" (working title: Axl Staxx) is a mock NPR-type radio show between a mild-mannered commentator and aging rocker Axl Staxx. He's on the show to promote his memoir "Back from the Brink". The memoir has been plugged as a harrowing account of his descent into addiction and how he clawed his way back to sobriety. Instead, as the interview progresses, the commentator realizes that Axl's "addiction" amounts three weeks of a YooHoo binge culminating in piles from sitting bare-assed on cold concrete. Not to mention that Axl's real name is Bernard Cliff and he has never done anything remotely rock star-ish beyond smoking a joint once seventeen years ago.

I got the idea from listening to Motley Crue's Nikki Sixx on NPR last year. Nikki was there to promote his memoir "The Heroin Diaries". As I'm listening to him, I'm thinking, "Wow. What a colossal douchebag". Does he think he's the only person with a heroin problem? The only celebrity with a heroin problem? The only celebrity from L.A. with a heroin problem? The only celebrity from Motley Crue with a heroin problem? Back in the day, rock was synonymous with H. Hey, here's another H for ya, Sixx: HACK. Anyhoo, listening to that and the famous Aerosmith Toxic Twin stories just got me thinking about how the addiction song remains the same and wouldn't it be funny if, when all is said and done, none of these kumquats actually DID anything?

No comments: