Sunday, November 16, 2008

putting the script before the horse

I made a stupid mistake last Friday. I responded to an add from an amateur filmmaker who was looking for short Christmas scripts. Usually, that wouldn't have been a problem except I hadn't actually written the script. That's right, kiddos. Yours truly had forgotten that all that existed of this "script" was a detailed outline and basic character arcs- light years away from a finished product. So anyway, the filmmaker writes me back on Friday and is all "Yeah, I'm loving your concept. Can you send me the script"? I'm all "Sure, no prob" and start searching my hard drive like mad for this script. After an hour or so of searching, it dawned on me that I had NOTHING! So instead of writing them back and telling them that I'd make a mistake, I did what any self-respecting writer would do: set about the business of shitting out a 15 page script by Monday. I mean, we can always do rewriters; that's expected. But to turn in nothing would be unacceptable.

That being said, I just finished my first draft. Excuse me while I put red pen to paper. I'll let you know how it all turns out.

No comments: