Wednesday, October 24, 2007

it ain't over till it's over

Back when I was a Gitano jean-rocking whippersnapper, Lenny Kravitz had a song called "It Ain't Over Till It's Over" (that was before he lost his negro mind and started wearing wings and fringe). Anyway, I got to thinking about Kravitz and his ditty tonight as I updated my submission log and publications list. See, I was bummed around August because it was the second half of the year and, in the publishing and entertainment world, nothing of note happens in the second half of the year (or so I've read). That meant I had zero chance of getting anything done! But, as evidenced by not only my submissions log, but publication list, there's been mondo activity in this second half of the year.

I guess it's like my broker always says. Just because the market is bad, doesn't mean the market is impossible. It just takes a little more diligence and elbow grease.

My broker also says that if you call yourself a part-time anything, you should spend at least two hours a day doing that thing (putting you at 10 hours a week if you take weekends off). Friends, if that's the case, then I am about as full time as you can get. Sure, I don't spend eight hours a day writing, but I spend at least four a day- EVERY day-either writing or engaging in some kind of writing activity (researching markets, editing, blogging, etc).

Having said that, I have to get back to my writing activity for the day. I'm going to fire off my agent queries for "Luke". I'm going to go out on a limb and send that award-winning sitcom (yes, it feels good to be able to say that!) to the BBC Writer's Room. My other sitcom was rejected by them, but for good reason. The shit wasn't funny. But this time'll be different. Why? Cuz it ain't over till it's over!

No comments: