Sunday, October 28, 2007

potty mouth

So, last night was very productive for me. I started a new play called "Potty Mouth". I got the idea about a week ago and jotted down some notes at work, but last night was the first time I actually put it down in play form. These women are like no other women I've ever written about. They're in their 40s, overweight, church-going and huge Barry Manilow fans. I won't tell you what the play is about, though. Hopefully you'll see it on stage one day. Besides, it's bad luck, isn't it? Kinda like disclosing a pregnancy before the third month. Anyway, suffice it to say I think it's funny. This play gives me a chance to step outside my snark box and talk dirty. You know, "pound my cookie with your giant cock", "cum between my tits" kind of stuff. Maybe not production material for your average middle American black box (theatre, that is. Not a euphamism), but somebody might enjoy it.

Festival Updates: so the one-act play festival in Massachusetts announces its winners on 1 November (this Thursday! Yikes!). I don't know when the one-act play festival in Montana announces their winners, but their website says auditions are being held for the chosen plays on 18 November. Either way, I should know something pretty soon, right? Granted, this whole situation has the potential to become another Pittsburgh (reference seething "Pittsburgh, Never" blog from September), but I can't help but become excited. I couldn't imagine a full production of my play! Wouldn't that just beat all??? In the name of research, I even read a couple of produced one-act plays and lemme tell ya, they're not much better than mine. My husband says it may be my subject matter and I'm inclined to agree. After all, who among us remembers disco club raids and who wants to see a serial killer play with optional laugh track?

2 comments:

Elayne said...

I hope I get to see "Potty Mouth." Sounds hilarious, and maybe, just maybe you could find a way to drop some scat in it. Just a thought ;)

Delafantastika said...

You know, now that you mention it...scat is like Jello. There's always room for scat. :-)