Sunday, November 4, 2007

critique

I received a critique today. It stated my piece sounded as if it was written by someone on drugs who just sat down at a computer and started typing. They didn't like my descriptions (a bedroom on fire and gangrene of the lips, for example); thought they were too weird. Although they found the piece very entertaining, it was a little too weird for them.

This is a great time for a word on my influences. I grew up listening to (and I suppose internalizing) psychedelic, mind-bending lyrics by Led Zepplin, the Strawberry Alarm Clock, and the Doors. My favorite movies are the ones that make me think so hard that I can only watch them once (Velvet Goldmine, Boogie Nights, Blair Witch Project). My sense of humor tends toward the irreverent and the inappropriate. I often throw words together to see if they stick and I'm obsessed with the way a sentence sounds when it's said out loud. Too many "s" sounds in that last one, by the way.

Now I must feed my family, edit a coupla ten minute jobbies and get back to challenging the world, one alliterated sentence at a time.

No comments: