Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Goody Fantastika

I'm quitting teaching Sunday School, starting last Sunday. I've been denying it, but whenever I drive up to the church, my stomach churns. It's beyond icky when the door guards give you that pitiable smile that says "You'll never be as holy as me, but thanks for coming. Enjoy the complimentary donuts". I'm weary. Still, there's nothing better than spending time with a bunch of five year olds who know God better than 90% of the adults I know. Unfortunately, that's where my joy ends.

Remember the Salem Witch Trials where the young women (Goody Sarah, Goody Margaret, Goody Good Pecker- okay, not the last one) were placed on trial as a result of that "you're either with us or against us" mentality? Look, just because I don't enjoy church doesn't mean I'm a heathen or that I'm even backsliding. I wonder if I can get that on a tee shirt?

No comments: