Monday, November 5, 2007

The Passion of the Claus

Today was damned productive. I woke up resolving to have a great day and I almost succeeded. The people at work were buttheads, but what are you gonna do, eh? I suppose that's why it's called work and not play. At any rate, I ordered a crap load of Christmas presents for my son today. So much so that my husband has told me that I cannot buy any more for a while. Whatever. He's not the boss of me. Boy, I love Christmas! The sights, the sounds, the smells, the ripping open of wrapping paper and the subsequent lazing about among presents. Christmas' when I was younger were the bomb. They were the only times when I was truly happy to be alive. Yes, I was a depressing soul, even as a youngin.

Listening to Serena Ryder (iTunes her because she rocks) makes me want to try to tackle my guitar again. I got pretty far a couple of weeks ago. I learned an open G and F. I kept trying to convince myself that the reason I haven't been playing is because my fingers are too short. That's right. I'm not a lazy fooker, but a lazy fooker with stubby fingers. Maybe I'll buy myself a mandolin. Then, I can learn to play the intro to "Losing my Religion" and call it a day.

Guess what? I've found a place to send my bastard Christmas play "The Passion of the Claus". It's a gut-wrenching slice-of-life that chronicles the debilitating self-doubt and niggling insecurities an aging Santa must battle the other 364 days of the year. Did I mention it's written for Kindergartners? I'll let you know how this all turns out...

One last thought- I cannot listen to the Spencer Davis Group without thinking about all those STOOPID financial planning commercials! Look, words cannot express how much I freaking love the Spencer Davis Group. I even believe that Steve Winwood- with the help of corrective dentistry- could be a major hottie (don't knock it. Dentistry turned David Bowie from a space freak to a space freak with perfectly capped incisors). "Gimme Some Lovin" shouldn't remind me of ex-hippies who, instead of spending the last forty-odd learning bulls and bears, sunk every peso they had into ill-fated hemp futures.

Last thought- Did you know that John Phillips (Mamas and Papas) taught his daughter to shoot heroin at 12 years old? He died last year and is now burning in hell.

No comments: