Monday, January 28, 2008

the age of aquarius

I don't know if it's the mercury in the water or what, but I've been feeling rather spiritual lately, especially toward my writing. I've adopted this "what will be, will be" attitude that is surprisingly freeing. It's kind of like I'm a lost cast member of the production "Hair" (one of my favorite movies of all time) or something: running around the park, wearing fringe, smelling musty, but on some groovy vibe. This aquarius-ness of my current state, though, is not keeping me from being totally excited about the playwriting contest.

Today the results are posted on the website of a certain theatre group in NYC! I'll keep checking the website to see if I've made it. Those playwrights that win get 100 bones and a fully staged production of their work. Naturally, I'm all about the production, since it is one of my two writing goals for the year.

Ya'll know I live in this little wacked out, country fried town, right? Well, we actually have local theatre here. Unfortunately, I've had nil luck getting my stuff on stage. So when I received a call for donations from one of the theaters, I was tempted to wipe my butt with it, stick it back in the envelope and send it off. But since I was having trouble moving my bowels, I decided against it. Well, while I was shoving fiber down my throat, I received another email from another company. As it turns out, they are looking for judges for their 3rd Annual Kid's Playwriting Competition. I wrote the Artistic Director and told her I was the bomb ass playwright, but I'd be willing to take a break from fabulousness to help judge the compo.

In my experience, the best way to stave off self-pity is to step outside yourself in service to others. So that's what I'm doing. Wow, if that doesn't sound flower child enough for you...

No comments: