Monday, March 17, 2008

feedback

While laid up, I received feedback from a local playwriting contest. One word: ouch. Three readers read the play and one common theme was the dialogue was over-written and the play moved too fast for what was supposed to be happening in the play. The characters were barely distinctive, the choreography was awkward, scene changes were drastic (and therefore not conducive to production in a small, black box theatre) and the ending was wholly inappropriate. Keep in mind that this was my first foray into the world of the full-length play, so I was expecting to be skewered. I did feel proud of myself, though, in that I didn't retreat into my sad place while reading the feedback. Although I cannot take all the credit; Percoset is a hell of an emotional cushion.

Speaking of the white devils (Percoset, not the judges), I've kicked them to the curb! I'm actually writing this from my home office- sitting upright, thank you very much -just before I prep a couple of submissions. I'm still not able to bend so much, but seeing how three days ago, I was almost completely immobilized, this has been one giant leap for mankind indeed.

A couple of contests I entered are announcing their winners via their website today, so I'll check the happs and get back with you. Hope your day is as wonderful as mine is shaping up to be.

No comments: