Wednesday, March 12, 2008

why i write

During the writer's strike, some WGA members wrote touching pieces about why they write. I've used this as a prompt and written my own. There are several reasons why I write. Many of them have to do with the characters inside of me, but I also write to answer lingering questions. Anyway, below is the first of many reasons why I write:

By the time I wake up in the morning, the voices have already started. By the time I’m in the shower, the voices have dressed, brushed their teeth and are having coffee wearing my bathrobe- my freaking bathrobe! -downstairs. They start out nattering to one other with me as casual voyeur. Soon they’ve turned and they’re screeching, yelling, demanding of me to tell their stories. Tell them right, tell them complete and tell them now. So I sit at my computer and I transcribe their loves, fears, disappointments and shames the best I can. I transcribe because I owe it to tell the stories they cannot tell for themselves. Because they are me and, if for only a moment, I was them. And, of course, because I want my bathrobe back.

No comments: