Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Hero Coalition production today

I've gotta hand it to my sister- she might know how to pick 'em. When I asked her to read "Mixtape", I braced myself for the questions: What's going on? Why is his name Romo? et. al. but none of that came. Instead, it was a hysterical laughter and the proclamation that this was my best screenplay yet. Hmm. I didn't necessarily agree, but as I write this, I have received a second request to read the whole script. I'm mailing it off as soon as I finish this blog. When in L.A., I'm meeting with the "Damn Tracy" readers, but if I can generate some "heat" (loving that word, can you tell?) for "Mixtape" that would be fantastic. I just have this overarching feeling that my time is running short. Don't ask me why. I may just be losing my mind.

A short of mine is being produced by a company L.A. this morning and uploaded onto their website. This local show's premise is a la "Who's Line Is It Anyway" where actors show up that morning, get the script and act it out without prior rehearsal. Usually, the writers are in the studio to answer questions and generally participate, but since I live in Texas- get this!- they are hiring an actor to play me! I'll get credit, of course, but this person will sit in using my name and everything. It's a small production and viewable only from their website. The larger question is: will they know how to pronounce "their" last name?? But, how's that for "reality" and "live" television? The producer called me this morning at 2:00am to discuss the premise. He was extremely gracious and promised to send me the DVD copy of the production. How exciting!

The short I sent them was a piece of a never-to-be-finished screenplay about superheroes. The scene is five pages long, has roles for six actors (five male, one female) and takes place in one room. They're all over-the-hill superheroes renegotiating their contract with their agent. It's one of those pieces that was amusing to me, but probably not all that marketable. There are quite a few of those that I keep around to cannibalize when opportunities like this arise. "Suburban Psycho" was the same way- part of a larger, unfinished project.

Gotta run to the post office and mail this script. Wish me luck!

No comments: