Wednesday, August 27, 2008

these is black problems

Today is just like the day before and the day before that. I woke up, got the Kid ready for school, walked him to the front doors and now I'm back home again.

I went on an interview last Friday. I'm confident that I got the job, but I have to wait two weeks to find anything out. In the meantime, my neighbor called me yesterday and I'm trying to figure out if I should be offended or not. Here's the deal: she asked me if I had found a job yet. I said no, but I'm applying everywhere that has something open for my qualifications. THEN, she started telling me about headhunters and that I need to call the places and all this other shit. Needless to say, I was like: hold the phone, turbo! You don't think I'm calling these bastards everyday? You don't think I know to apply in the morning so they see my resume first? I was more than a little angry. I mean, does she think I'm some slacker? Because I'm not. She doesn't know me or my plight or my situation. These are my problems! Black problems! Besides, I'm at home writing. But you can't say that in public unless your last name is Spielberg or something equally recognizable.

Practically speaking, being offended takes too much energy, so I'll just let that one go. I need my energy. My husband just returned from his trip early this morning and I'll be tending to my "wifely duties". Ha ha! Love the visual? Yeah, you're welcome.

Yesterday, I hit up the local library for a book on Southern Womanhood for research for "The Catch" (my newest romantic comedy). I hit a block when I realized that I was writing all this snazzy dialogue, but had no idea who the women were that were speaking. So, I thought about the setting and the characters and what would make it believable. What I came up with is a small town outside of Louisville, Kentucky and a woman named Miss Margaret Wolcott. Miss Margaret fancies herself a real Southern Belle (complete with a healthy addiction to prescription painkillers and gin) and will tell anyone who will listen that she's directly related to an original signer of the Declaration of Independence. The script is moving along quite nicely, I must say. This is the first screenplay I've tried to outline before laying it out in Final Draft.

Anyway, gotta go and apply for more jobs. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Viel Gluck! Yeah, I know about Black problems...