Sunday, August 24, 2008

listen closely 'cuz I don't say this too often

I miss my husband. That's right, I said it. I miss him. He's been gone for almost three weeks. I miss having somebody to talk to. There's no point in whining about it, though- he'll be home whenever he gets home, but I'm just saying.

Enough of that. Here's what's been going on for the past three days: I got a message from Raytheon saying that I wasn't hired for any of the positions that I interviewed for. Bastards. They waited three months to tell me that shit. I had an interview with another government contractor last Friday. I wasn't too excited about it simply because of what happened with Raytheon. If I do get this other job, it'll be nice, but the commute will be brutal (1 hour both ways). Oh well. Yesterday, I spent most of the day watching The Twilight Zone. Years and years ago, my husband bought me a Twilight Zone box set (Collection 3- about 40 episodes). I've watched all but about twelve of them, so I got stuck in yesterday afternoon. Every time I watch an episode of The Twilight Zone (or in later years, Night Gallery), I'm struck by the crispness of the writing. To be fair, a lot of the episodes echo the same themes but with the execution, you rarely notice. Earlier this year, I entered the Rod Serling Night Gallery playwriting contest. I didn't get in, but I'm thinking about entering again next year.

Have I told you how excited I am about L.A. next month? My sister and I are signed up for a tour of the Los Angeles Film School (free) and a taping of the sitcom "According to Jim" (also free). That's poetic justice for you. I can't STAND that freaking show, but it would be an invaluable experience to watch a sitcom being shot, what's considered funny enough to be on television, what can or cannot be done blocking wise, and how many sets are used per episode.

I'm watching Bobby Flay's cooking show and it's putting me in the mood to revisit "Cooking with Bixby and Kenzo". I loved that script, but the execution could have been better. I'm gonna go and take a look at it right now...

No comments: