Thursday, August 28, 2008

jealous punks can't stop my dunks

AWESOME DAY!!!

The only way I can describe the way I feel now is FLOATING! I just got an email from a manager in Los Angeles who has read my script and asked me if I wanted to receive notes on it. This is big! Why? Because it flies in the face of everything I have been told up to this point about screenwriting. First, I have been told that nobody reads query letters and/or agents and managers don't want to talk to anybody who doesn't have big time production credits. I got in touch with this manager via query letter and phone. Not only did he respond to my emails, but he has actually read the script and is offering notes. Woo-hoo!

Next, I was told to move out to Los Angeles to get anything done. Wrong again. With the Internet, I've been able to form and maintain relationships with producers and directors. These relationships have resulted in work being published, produced, and filmed. It may not mean a lot to some people, but to me, it's important.

I just received an email from the manager. He said that, although he's going to have to "pass" on the script (Hollywood speak for "no, thanks"), he'll provide the notes. He did say that he liked the script and, with rewrites, he'd gladly take a look at it as his contacts will be more likely to buy off on another draft. Does this let a little of the wind out of my sails? Sure, but even receiving PROFESSIONAL STUDIO NOTES is awesome!

Also, I talked to my mentor today. I told him about the whole "notes" situation and he was happy for me. He looks like Evan Handler (actor who played Charlotte's Jewish husband on SATC), but is extremely talented and giving of his time. Anyway, he offered his congrats on moving a step closer to the goal and more of his time once I get on the ground in L.A. next month. I feel unstoppable.

Side note: I saw Tropic Thunder today. Go see it. Like now.

Just when I thought the day couldn't get any better, I just received a phone call from a company for a phone interview next Wednesday. Promising because I applied for the job YESTERDAY. Is this a good sign?

In short, the day has been fantastic and, for the first time in months, I'm looking forward to tomorrow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You didn't even have to use your A-K. I have to say it was a good day.