Saturday, February 9, 2008

my son the hero

I don't know what's up with this recent rash of good days I've been having, but in the interest of not looking a gift horse in the mouth, I won't dwell too much on it. Yesterday, I got a call from my son's school's "Behavioral Management Center". Just when I was planning to leave work to administer one of those special "beat the black off your monkey ass right here in school" beatings, the teacher on the other end said he had done nothing wrong. In fact, he had saved a little boy from choking himself. See, this kid apparently has emotional problems and was trying to strangle himself with his own belt. Well, my son told him that he needed to stop or he was going to hurt himself. The boy continued strangling and my son continued talking. The little boy then told my son "if you don't stop talking, I'm going to hurt you" (I can totally understand, as those very words have passed from my lips to my son on many occasion). Long story short- my son tells the (curiously absent from this whole ordeal) teacher, they remove the kid from class and hopefully medicated the shit out of him. I was so proud of my son! I'm usually talking smack about what a dirty/lazy/immature child he can be and I sometimes forget that he's basically a good person. Why a good person would continue to pee around the base of the toilet, though, is still a mystery to me.

On the writing front, I've had a change of heart. Maybe I'll relax my stance on entry fees for playwriting competitions. After all, if I want a production in New York and/or Los Angeles (the ultimate goal!), then I have to give something to get something, right? Or am I off-base and letting desperation slide in?

The good news is that, since the last major revisions for all my plays, I haven't entered any pay-to-play contests. Maybe this is the second chance I've been waiting for.

To hell with all your eggs in one basket! I'm completely and utterly stoked about the BBC. It's taken forever and I'm confident that my script has gotten a second read. If it gets a first read and is found wanting in the humor department, then you receive a polite "shove off" letter. This takes about two months. However, if your first read goes well, you're granted a second read. If that one doesn't go so well, then you get a shove off, as well as your script with reader notes and comments! But if the second read goes well, you are invited to England for possible development. Dude, I'm just hoping for reader comments at this point. If I got BBC reader comments, I would frame them shits and kiss them every night before bed.

I've already gotten the mail for today. Nothing from the BBC yet. The longer it takes, the better. Wish me luck!

No comments: