Sunday, February 3, 2008

natural born hater

Would you believe that I am still high from my skinny venti white chocolate mocha no whip from last night? It should be illegal to sell that much coffee to one person at one time. It should also be illegal to sell it to twelve year old poser girls, too. But that's another story.

Last night, I began doubting my career as a playwright (again) when reality barged in. Fact: not counting that tale of 60's urban squatters, my first serious attempt at a play was last year. That's right! 2007 was actually the first year that I began writing plays in earnest. So, how can I get upset with my lack of progress when I'm still experimenting with the form? As for screenplays, I've been writing those for at least five years now, so it's about time for something to happen, right? Right?! You're gonna give us the notes, right?!

Fond as I am of joking about my hater status, I've discovered that I am, in fact, a hater to my core. Case in point- If I have to hear about that movie Juno again, your girl's going on a postal rampage! My beef with Juno is the writer of this movie is a young woman who NEVER had a screenplay produced and had never written anything before in her life. One fateful day, she's presented with the opportunity of a lifetime, bangs out a script and now she's nominated for an Oscar. That's MY Oscar. It's times like these when I think that my life is merely a cosmic teaching tool.

I'm taking a break from my latest screenplay to blog because I'm at a part that is very uncomfortable for me. See, the time has come to off a character and it saddens me. I'm such a chicken. Whenever people die in my screenplays, they expire. I rarely show the death (except the screenplay about the devil. When Satan kills somebody, that deserves screen time 'cause you know he's gonna bring da funk and da noize). But, since all good writing must cost the writer something, maybe I'll go there this time. I dunno. I'll try it and let you know how it goes. Watch this space.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're gonna give us the notes, right?! LMAO!!!

Angela Adams said...

haha! I loved Juno :)