Thursday, December 6, 2007

recurring characters

Several days ago, I had a convo with a friend about recurring characters. See, she writes mother-daughter conflict very, very well. Not the same conflict, but many, many facets of it. I also tend to write about parasitic, unhealthily symbiotic relationships, but more often than not, I'm writing priests, rabbis or random Jewish folks. Even where they obviously don't belong, I'm quick to create a situation friendly to your neighborhood holy man. "Potty Mouth" used to have a priest (before I turned him into a dirty preacher at the last minute). In my sitcom, the husband is Jewish and in the second episode, a priest and a rabbi share a scene. The disco play has a Catholic Senator, the Satan screenplay takes place in a Catholic school and my current play has two guys- fresh from a Halloween party- dressed as a priest and a rabbi each. Do I keep writing the same story over and over or do I just have religious issues?

I'm watching Black Books and avoiding the day. You see, tomorrow is my son's Christmas party and today I must buy the decorations and stuff for the holiday craft. But I don't want to go out because it's cold as shit. But if Santa can put in an appearance tomorrow night, then I should at least drag my chocolate ass out into the elements for some glue and glitter. But before I do that, I must get dressed. This is especially vexing since I have nothing to wear.

Right. I can no longer put this off. We must get up, scrape together an outfit and join the world at large.

No comments: