Monday, December 31, 2007

auld lang balls

In a couple of hours, 2007 will be history. I'm not sad to see it go, personally. This had to be my most prolific year on record! I published four times (my goal), fell in love with the ten minute play format, placed Top Ten in the Writer's Digest Annual Writing Competition and- the biggest chicken noodle coup of all- the "Suburban Psycho" option! When I look back at those accomplishments, it softens the reality that I'm still unknown and sans agent.

Since you asked, I'll tell you. My only two goals for 2008 are: 1) have a stage play produced and/or movie script sold and 2) get a flippin' agent. Not technically a flipping agent. I mean, acrobatic skills not required. Anyway.

Today was strange indeed. For the whole day, I felt like if I spread my wings and hummed loud enough, I could fly. Literally take flight! I was that full of hope and promise. Usually that only happens after a pharmaceutical cocktail, but today it was completely natural. Probably because it was Monday; Mondays and I tend to get along. I mailed three queries and maintained a healthy feeling of optimism about the San Antonio playhouse to which I submitted the disco jobby. Imagine with me for a moment: my stuff on stage, appreciated by the masses. Complimentary finger foods and a Q and A with audience members. Mmm.

Right. Enough of that nonsense. Time to get back to work. Gotta find a home for two creative non-fiction pieces and fast. Both are over two years old. I've been sitting on them so long, I expect them to hatch any day now. So, the hour finds me on duotrope.com, that wondrous database of markets for those of us with writing to market. Back to the grind. Let's see if luck be a lady (or a bald-headed bus station skeezer) tonight.

Happy 2008! :-)

No comments: