Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Ask...but then what?

Great news! I didn't have to bite anyone and I got a chance to relax my hair. As I write this, my 'do is wrapped and ready to take on tomorrow. My husband told me today that, because of our government's shortcomings, he may be headed to Iraq around Christmas time. If this happens, ya'll, the minute he comes back, I'm moving my black ass to England. The thing that worries me about him returning from Iraq is not missing limbs. What worries me is that I'll get back a Stepford version of him. A version that looks whole on the outside, but at times, one can tell where giant hunks of his personality have been ripped away.

I was praying yesterday and ran across something strange. I read a passage from 1 John, the one about "Ye have not because ye ask not". Anyway, I prayed and said "God, I really want to be a rich and successful screenwriter". Directly following the prayer was the inevitable mental smirk. I mean, why should He answer me now? After all, I've only been praying this prayer since, oh, birth. Well, after I thought that, the strangest thing happened. It was a voice- almost audible- that said "Yeah, you prayed it, but did you actually believe it?" And don't you know I said no? This much is true-hoo... I've been praying and citing that passage from 1 John: "Ye have not because ye ask not", yet this whole time I never really believed that God would do it for me. What kind of shitty Christian am I?

Have you heard that old saying "Pray, but row away from the rocks"? Perhaps I've been putting too much faith in my oars.

No comments: