Monday, September 17, 2007

branching out, breaking free

Yesterday, at age thirty- (mumblemumble), I played my first ever team sport. Yes, your friendly neighborhood loner suited up and hit the soccer field for the most terrifying forty minutes of her life. See, I've always prided myself on being an individual, not being a team player. As Paul Simon so eloquently put it "I am a rock/ I am an island". But I had fun yesterday and methinks I'll make my triumphant return next Sunday.

As I write this, my dear friend's husband is laying in critical condition at the local hospital. He was hit by a drunk driver while riding his motorcycle. Ya'll, tomorrow isn't promised to any of us. Our lives, as frustrating and pedestrian as they may sometimes seem, are on loan to us. It's our responsibility to make the most of them. That being said, I'm going to take my own advice. I'm going to pack as many potential dinner party anecdotes into my remaining 40 or so years. It's time to start flinging caution and business cards to the wind. The time is now to start calling agents and discover new hobbies. I'll learn to play the wretched Wii. I'll continue to play team sports and I'll try my hand at being a movie extra. I'll dye my hair and try a new condiment on my toast. Why not? Hovering in the void between life and death is not the time to second guess one's life choices.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good for you! I just tried a team sport for the first time a couple years ago...volleyball. It was scary at first but now I'm OK with it.